Sunday, November 18, 2012

Rule Number 1: Try not to start a fire

So here's some good news in the time of Thanksgiving.  Recently, even though I hardly view myself as employable, I got a JOB.  I KNOW.  I've been out of the workforce for quite some time but I do sometimes have extra time on my hands.  My friend Lisa who sells my little bird paintings in her shop downtown took me up on my offer as extra holiday help.  If you don't know Lisa, she owns a wonderful store called Living and Giving here in Rome and I think you'd love it.

The idea of having a little work responsibility makes me nervous I admit.  Most of you have no idea of my capacity for trouble. I'm like the grown up version of Amelia Bedelia and my nerves about new situations usually cause even worse situations.  The first couple of 4 hour shifts I worked, I was pretty proud that I didn't break anything or burn anything down.  My mom and sister even came in and I think they were proud of me. Third shift, not so much.

Living and Giving has lovely things for your home, including CANDLES, some of which are lit and some of which were in my personal space.  So of course I started a damn fire.  I swear I only looked away for a minute and the papers in front of me just whooshed into flame.  I've told you that I freeze when I panic, but at least I squeaked out FIRE and the other ladies came and extinguished it. The good news is that the fire was SMALL and the only casualty was a stapler, but unless you are looking at this from a standpoint of comedic value, it's clear that it wasn't one of my finer moments.  The other good news was that all the other present employees admitted to setting at least one fire themselves so now it's like I'm in some sort of club I guess.  Apparently, starting a fire at your new place of employment is not a for-sure way to get  let go so that's a positive too.

I'm not working again til Wednesday so if you decide you want to stop by Living and Giving, you might be safer to go by on a different day, but I'd still love to see you.

L




No comments:

Post a Comment