Friday, January 25, 2013

Breathe

I recently bought a bracelet that says "BREATHE" on it because I realize how much taking a minute to just focus on the basics can change my reaction to things. You can't imagine how many people have been rescued from me because I took that moment.  The glory of intake, even of freezing cold air, is something I might need to appreciate more and then there's also the few seconds that sometimes means the difference between clawing someone's eyes out and simply moving on.  That whole Count to 10 Campaign was on to something.  So the bracelet has served to remind me to take that moment when I need it and Kenny and Olivia would probably tell you it works.

The occasional media story of China's smog problem isn't new or surprising since they are heavily reliant on coal, but for whatever reason I didn't really imagine what this would be like before seeing this.  Check this picture from this week out:


Let's add Tai Chi in heavy smog to the list of stuff we are never gonna do.  If you have to wear that mask, maybe skip class today.  Okay, and maybe taking the second to inhale is not going to help these folks. God, whatever happens, DON'T BREATHE.

The whole reason I'm even thinking about this is because this actual headline crossed my feed a few times the last couple of days:

A FACTORY fire in eastern China went unnoticed for three hours because of the thick smog that blanketed large stretches of the country this week, state media have said.

So, wow.  You've got yourself a real problem if no one even notices a full on blaze at a factory FOR 3 HOURS because your smog is so prevalent.  Sweet Jesus that's horrible.  If you want the full story, here's the link: China Smog Story.  I guess it's nice to be first at something, but Beijing is probably not very proud of being tops in polluted air.  You don't get a trophy for breaking that record.

I guess all of that has very little to do with me, but you know how I manage to make everything all about me and, lucky for you, you can go BREATHE some (relatively) clear air in and out a few times if that bothers you.  Anyway, it's actually freezing here and I'm not very interested in going outside and gulping in lots of cold air, but I am feeling pretty grateful because I could totally do that if I wanted.

Talk soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment