Monday, April 29, 2013

Weekend

So this was a good weekend.  Kinda busy, but a good kind of busy.  We've been watching this:


and finally got to see THESE:


which of course looks kinda weird until you realize they are BABY BIRDS!! And then it rained and rained and we worried and worried, but so far nobody has washed away. Now Kenny is sneaking the mama some sunflower seeds and she's letting us watch her feed them worms. 

The other spectacular thing was that my friend Tamara invited us to a house concert with her dearest friend, Kate Campbell. I like to think of her as my friend-in-law and she's kind enough to let a girl think that. I always get excited when I get to hear her because she's such a charming, witty, freaky-smart person who's read just about every book ever.  She's a great story teller and I think we are going to just laugh and laugh about the crazy that comes along with being the children of Baptist ministers and then she starts with a simple tune and lets loose this sweet, clear voice and I suddenly wish no one else was there to see me when my eyes well up. I am always completely disarmed by her humor so I don't see the piercing sincerity coming right at me until it's too late. She sings about the South in all it's old glory and quirkiness and civil rights and traveling and sometimes Jesus. I was telling my folks today that even people who don't like Jesus would like Jesus after Kate introduced them.  She's got a million CDs of her own and probably like a ton of appearances with other folks and you can get them on her website katecampbell.com or look for tickets to some of her shows. I heard she'll be on NPR's Mountain Stage this weekend. My favorite (for today, because yesterday it was "Peace Comes Stealing Slow" and you should certainly invest in that one) is "Yellow Guitar" so I'm posting her singing it at the Bluebird below.





No comments:

Post a Comment