Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 4

Day 4 of ALL BY MYSELF.

It's raining here so I was feeling a bit cagey yesterday. I decided to go off the island to see a movie, but when I arrived at the theater the movie I wanted to see was sold out. Since I'm here with all the time in the world I decided to go see another while I waited for the one I preferred.  If there's one experience that can make you feel anonymous, it's going to a movie by yourself. I kind of like having a meal alone sometimes or seeing a movie - I certainly wouldn't let being alone keep me from going to eat or see whatever I had in mind. But boy does it bother other people to see someone eating alone.

I used to eat regularly by myself while Olivia was at swim practice. I had a favorite place and I'd take a book maybe and order something I thought would warm me up, but I finally stopped this practice because the proprietor would loudly march me to my table belting out, "Dining alone AGAIN?" or something to that effect and it became clear that my solitary dining made him sad. I did at least say, "It doesn't bother ME, but it seems to upset YOU."  Also, every server in that place seemed to think that my table for one status meant that I wanted to visit with them individually so they'd stop by the table and come up with all manner of things to entertain me when all I really wanted was some soup and the chance to get a few chapters covered in my book.  I do have a few places where I am friends with the servers and those servers are friendly and welcoming every single time. They are also kind enough to leave me with my book when I open it. If you are also an introvert, you know how this goes.

This morning brought more rain so I'm again confined to house and porch. It's not like I couldn't brave getting wet, but what's better at the grocery store or the post office than my book?  Here's my spot for the afternoon:




No comments:

Post a Comment