Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sure is quiet

So Olivia's off on a trip with the church youth group this week and that means I've got all the time in the world to write to you.  I KNOW. I usually hear people who anticipate a house with no kids talk about how great it's gonna be, but mostly all I'm experiencing is a whole lot of quiet. I don't mind quiet. I don't mind time with a book or eating alone. I don't even mind seeing movies by myself.  It's raining here so that's kind of nice too.

Yesterday I spent a lot of time online and when I have time I'll read just about anything - anything that's not just some person spewing nonsensical hatred all around and there's a lot of that, believe you me.  I do a lot of searching and lately I don't see that much worth sharing on the internet. There's only so many cat videos. I did see a funny dog one where the dog keeps closing the door on his owner so he doesn't have to take a bath. Not funny enough to share, but amusing. I spent a little time reading about North Korea. There's some shocking stuff. Then I found this hour long presentation by this kid in a Kansas church about the Bible in regard to homosexuality and since I love some gay people and I love Jesus and also I had an hour (I have LOTS of hours!) I watched it, and I have to tell you this nervous, courageous and faithful young man makes a very compelling, faith-based and intelligent argument for rejecting the traditional misreading of scripture in relation to homosexuality.  Here's the link to the article, the short highlight video and the full one: Matthew Vines Bible and Homosexuality Debate. At least it's a fuller argument than the one I usually have towards anti-gay talk, which is "Love one another."

Then I got wrapped up in those Dateline kind of programs where you don't know who the murderer is until the very end.  After that, I went outside, removed the spare key from the hiding spot because according to Dateline, anyone can come in and kill you while you sleep in your house, and went to bed to the sound of a whole lot of rain falling on my tin roof.

So in the two full days of being all by myself I've stripped all the beds, flipped the mattresses, done some laundry, eaten fish tacos, started and rejected two books, sat in the sun and called Kenny. I guess really that's not that different than my list of activities would be if Olivia were still here now that I think of it.    I better get on doing something fascinating, enviable and blogworthy before she returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment