Friday, October 26, 2012

Your refrigerator is running

All I wanted was a simple answer to a question. I had a missed call in the middle of the night last week and didn't recognize the number.  Because the area code was the same as my sister's, I later wondered if maybe one of her kids had needed me (as an aunt, I want to be available to them) and I knew it was possible that I didn't have all of their current numbers loaded in my phone. So I call her and tell her I'm going to text this number to her and she can tell me which one of them called me in the night. I did NOT ask her to call the number. Just tell me if you recognize it, sis.  SIMPLE REQUEST.  Or maybe not.

I didn't get a call back so I finally called her and she's giggling so I'm pretty sure she's probably called the number.  Of course she called the number. Look, I don't call numbers back that I don't recognize specifically because I don't want to talk on the phone to someone I don't already know well enough to have in my contact list (unless it's my niece or nephews).  AND because I don't want to call and harass someone who simply mis-dialed me in the first place.  You never know who you might piss off by calling someone and accusing them of calling you. Just imagine the suspicion that could cause in a volatile relationship.  But you know how if you touch a phone number in a text your iphone will call that number? My giggling accomplice missed that lesson apparently.

I used to make what they call pretext calls for a private investigator's office. It's lucrative for a young person and pretty simple work if you don't mind lying and can think on your feet. Mostly I was lying to folks who were being investigated for fraud so I didn't feel that badly about calling them, but I never felt 100% comfortable either.  My sister, on the other hand, is like most people. She CAN lie, but gets really giggly and nervous so she gives herself away.

Here's a transcript of their conversation:

TOTAL Stranger (who now has Mel's phone number):  Hello?

Mel: oh crap I dialed it. Hee hee. Hello?  Is, um.... Mike there?  (see, she picked this name real smooth out of her head).

COULD BE ANYBODY Stranger:  No, he's not at this number, but if you see him, will you please tell him I've been getting some of his mail?

---WHAT ARE THE CHANCES I'M ASKING YOU???? That my quick thinking sister has actually chosen a name of a person who at least at some point must have RESIDED at this house she has called.

Mel:  wow. oh, um, well I don't really know him that well. I just got his number from someone.

MIGHT BE A STALKER Stranger: Well I've been getting a lot of calls for him since I got this number.

Mel:  Oh.  What's your name? (again with the smooth because the goal was actually to find out the caller's name).

Complete STRANGER:  R---.  Who's calling again? (I can't believe it's taken her this long to get suspicious)

Mel:  Um, well, um I gotta go.

click.


Well at least the mystery of the midnight mis-dialer is solved and my sister has a new friend.  Sorry, Mel, for letting everyone know how to tell when you are lying.  Call me.

L


No comments:

Post a Comment