Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Ahhh China

Discovered yet another way China baffles me in these "Anti Pervert stockings" for young women. Via Gawker, "A photo that took China's Twitter-alike Sina Weibo by storm this week claims to show the country's latest fashion trend: "Super sexy, summertime anti-pervert full-leg-of-hair stockings, essential for all young girls going out.":


Found myself laughing at the silly Chinese and then discovered that our own beloved Serena Williams echoed the same ridiculous sort of sentiment when she criticized the Steubenville rape victim by saying she "shouldn't have put herself in that position." 

Perhaps a pair of ugly hair pants could dissuade young men from abusing a woman, especially an unconscious one, but since 60-70% of sexual assaults are planned, I think it isn't about the pants or the booze...

I'd articulate the very many disappointing ways that I've heard people discuss sexual assault, the very many ways that we end up blaming women for men's shameful behavior and the backwards slut shaming that makes my blood boil as a woman and as a parent, but I'm too busy putting my Serena poster in the garbage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment