Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Morning, June 11

Just about the only time I can set aside to write to you in the morning. Every morning works pretty much the same here. Wake up when my body tells me it's time and stumble downstairs.  I heat the water for tea and go around opening blinds to let the daylight in. By the time it's finished steeping I can grab my mug and head to the back porch.

I can hear frogs and what must be the 2013 invasion of cicadas, but I'm not going to investigate because they creep me out back here. Kenny says this is my porch. He has the front porch, but he doesn't care to dress it up with bottles and a brightly quilted bed like my pretty one.  He doesn't even have the little string lights on his porch.  Come to think of it, that's probably why people don't visit us on the front porch either.



This porch has been host to board games and charades with the kids and ice cream parties and painting supplies and a library of books and most importantly, wandering discussions of every world problem and personality disorder you can imagine. It's a great place to get out of the heat and and even better place to listen to the rain.  This porch goes with a glass of wine or a mug of tea just perfectly.  My presence here upsets my neighbors dogs sometimes so that's a negative, but we will all get used to each other by the end of the summer I think.  Given that we are in the forest here I think it's a magic porch because I've never seen a snake on it. It's important that you don't argue with me on that.

I'm making a plan back here for the day. My friend Megan is leaving for a while so that makes us all a little blue. We've done all the things we like to do together on this visit. When we make our list of things to do for the day she always adds "eat" to the list which I appreciate because I'm thinking that too.  We rode bikes, sat on the beach and weathered Tropical Storm Andrea. The wind blew a lot so she stomped around repeating, "I can't take it anymore!" and we all agreed we'd had enough of that. Yesterday we made a market run and she pushed the cart and picked out some cereal for Olivia.  I didn't say it was an adventure, exactly, but it worked for us.  I guess that means today's plan includes waving goodbye at the ferry because that's the way she likes it.  Better get moving then.

Megan in Lighthouse, 2012

 


No comments:

Post a Comment